Have worked in and for DT Vanc since 1990, including as President of Vancouver Farmers' Market and as Downtown Vancouver Association staff for conversion of Main Street in Uptown Village to two-way traffic..
There's nothing wrong with downtown Vancouver that MORE RETAIL won't cure. Sorry, but better litter receptacles (!!!) won't cut it.
- Quit giving tax breaks to developers who promise mixed use but somehow never fill the retail spaces in their buildings with actual retail, not office uses. How about a sliding scale of decreasing tax breaks for unkept promises?
- Find ways to encourage Downtown property owners to rent to quality tenants, not just anybody with a month's rent in hand.
- No more pot shops/churches/social service providers, please.
- Activate the street. Do not charge extra fees for sidewalk seating/tables.
- What's happening with the vacant block at Main and 15th Street? A real blight on downtown -- IMO, is worse than Block 10 bec is ugly and isolated.
- Whatever happened to the Design Review Committee?
- Why are Main Street businesses in retail spaces allowed to keep the shades drawn on their storefronts? If you don't want to be visible to passers-by, move off Main Street. (That includes the VFD. Chief Molina: the shades on the windows all along the west side of the new Main/4th Plain station are always down. Why?)
- No back-in parking on Main Street.
- No pedestrian mall on Main Street -- other cities have tried it and found it doesn't work.
This community engagement opportunity has ended.